8.19.2007

My visit on Sunday, August 19

This Sunday, I was in the mood for pipes -- big pipes! -- so I went to St. Pipe Organ Episcopal Church. I knew I was going to worship among Houston's high society, so I dressed up. The parking lot was full and I couldn't find the "visitor parking" lot. So if it was there, it wasn't marked well.

Turns out it was the minister's final Sunday before retirement. No wonder there was a crowd! (Nothing turns out a crowd like a "Wonder-what-the-minister-will-say" sermon.) An added bonus was that they were asking us to fill out nametags. Apparently it was not a regular feature at this church. I chuckled when I overheard the older, gentlelady behind me say, "Does this mean we have to wear nametags every Sunday?" Her question was innocent enough, but there was something behind it... (Why do church people find nametags such a nuisance?)

The sermon was alright -- its what you would expect from a minister that close to retirement. But the music! O the music! Beautiful! Awe-inspiring! As a tribute to their beloved pastor, the choir presented something of a "greatest hits" of (I'm assuming ) his favorite hymns and anthems. It was a very stirring orchestration -- like a soundtrack written just for that moment and that place in history.


There was a moment of "passing the peace" and I got scared when I saw the elderly couple seated in front of me turn to kiss. ("Wow! They really pass the peace," I thought) Thankfully, the old man on my left and the old woman on my right opted for a genteel, Southern handshake. (You know, the limp kind.)

The people were friendly enough. Not bad for upper-crust Episcopalians. I stayed planted on my pew cushion until the rousing end of the organ postlude. I thought it was obvious that I was trying to hear the grand finale, but a very noisy, chatty couple came and sat right beside me and talked through to the last, resonating note. (I guess all the other pews were too empty for them to sit in and talk.)

This church gets an A- for the overall experience because of the stunning music and attention to detail. C+ for their treatment of visitors. But I'm grateful to overhear and witness this congregation's affection for and gratitude their retiring rector.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the handshake!

Anonymous said...

Upper-crust? Did you gave to show your Country Club memership to get in?