9.17.2007

My Visit on Sunday, September 16

My travels took me to the heart of the arts district for worship this morning. I confess that I chose the church because I really wanted to wander through the art museum after worship. At least I had my priorities in the right order!

I learned right away that you don't want to get to this church too early. I arrived about 20 minutes before the start of their 11:00 service. When I walked up to the main entrance, I saw a handful of people standing on the steps outside the front door. I overheard someone saying that the first service wasn't over yet and we shouldn't go in. I went in anyway.

They indeed were singing the final hymn, so I knew it wouldn't be long and I walked up to the balcony to take-in the architecture. It was beautiful. The walls were stone and plaster and ceiling was wood, with a curious antique finish. The chancel was wood carved and stained glass windows were detailed and colorful. My only disappointment was the "chief" of the stained glass windows.

There in the front of the sanctuary, high above all the chancel decoration was the rose window -- the focal point of the architecture. And it was a small stained glass portrait of that 20th-century image of Jesus kneeling on a rock and praying in the Garden of Gethsemane. You the one -- its overused and well beyond cliche in many American churches. I know its familiar and that is why people like it. But for the rose window, I wish this church would have been more creative and bold.

I took my seat and noticed the faces around me. A good intergenerational mix and I was pleased to see it. They care for people at all ages and stages and it shows. I smiled at the older faces I saw -- these weren't your typical Texas-church-blue-haireds. One woman had giant bright red rims on her glasses (did I say they were huge?!) Several of the older gents had long wavy silver hair and stylish sportcoats -- I pictured them driving away in their convertibles. This was an arts crowd. More Montrose, less West U.

Still, they were a friendly lot and I appreciated their spiritual company on a Sunday morning. And later, at the art museum, I appreciated the spiritual company of old friends like Alexander Calder, Henri Matisse and Joan Miro.

2 comments:

Geoffrey said...

Thanks for your feedback. This is a very helpful site. As a pastor I hope you will come to my church as a visitor someday and let us know how we are doing from parking lot to parking lot. This is a much needed ministry you offer! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Glad you came to St Paul's in the Museum district. Next time, you're welcome to attend any of the Sunday school classes which start around 9:45. The thoughts shared by the good folks in the small group settings of Sunday school are just as diverse.